Monday, September 9, 2013

Another Week in Jyväskylä!!

September 9, 2013
 
Well, this week was sure an interesting one! One full of miracles as well as awkward funny stories so I'll see how much I can fit in today!
 
Well to start off, we went to contact a referral (which went pretty well btw) and then we decided to knock some doors on either side. So we went to knock on our first door and decided to say a quick little prayer before we knocked. So we're standing on the door step praying and sure enough, the door flings open and the lady says (In Finnish) "You know I can see you right?" So my companion tried to quickly explain why we were hanging out on here door step and we ended up just apologizing and leaving haha. She was surprisingly nice about it though.  We all had a good laugh about it.
 
The next day we were walking to the church for District Meeting and we try to always make an effort to say hi to everyone we pass. Sometimes we can't stop and talk to them because they're on bikes usually. So anyway, I went to say "Huomenta" which means "Morning" and instead I said "Huomenna" which means "tomorrow." So yeah I got a pretty weird look from that one but my companions couldn't stop laughing. Then, the next night my companion Sis Dayton said Huomenta to a man at about 8:30 at night so that one made me laugh too. Yeah we have lots of fun together. We like to play a game called "Who can get the weirdest look from a person by just saying hello to them" We've got some great looks. People here are just so surprised that a stranger would say hello and they almost always do a double take and then a delayed "Moi!" and keep on riding. It's pretty fun. 
 
Well this week we've really been focusing on finding. We prayed to be able to find "the one" that day and were really trying to talk to everyone in order to do it. So, as we were walking to visit a part member family, we passed a young woman and stopped and talked to her and she was so nice! And she spoke English! That was awesome. We invited her to come to a church tour and everything and then went on our way. We ended up somehow getting her wrong number as well (I know what you all are thinking, no she didn't purposely give us the wrong one) So we went back to try to find her but we had met her on the street and only had a general idea of which apartment complex she lived in. We narrowed it down to the right complex and there were 25 or more apartments there so we were prepared to knock all the doors until we found her. We said a prayer and then walked into the complex and there she was! Just sitting outside her house! She was the only person in the whole complex outside and we found her in literally 10 seconds! That was awesome and definitely a miracle this week.
 
Well, more about Jyväskylä. There's only one ward here but the land area it covers is massive. It's split into three areas which are covered but the three companionships here (2 sister companionships and 1 elders) So we had the goal this week to reach out and visit all the less active and active members in our area. There were only about 15 names so it wasn't too difficult and I really think we're starting to build better relationships with the members which is awesome. They really are very excited about missionary work here. 
Finland also has tons of immigrants and refugees and almost every person here speaks English which is good and bad. Good because I can talk to them and understand but bad because I'm not being as immersed as I want to be. But the language is definitely coming! Slow and steady! 
 
Also, last P day we visited Kebab house and ate some Finland famous Kebabs. That's what the picture is of.
 
I also got a letter from Camille and Melissa and some friends this week so thanks so much! I can really feel the love and support! Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! You've got a present coming your way!

Rhett: Thanks for your Finnish letters! I still have to look up a couple words in the dictionary so you're definitely learning way fast!

Brianne: Great to hear from you and your fun friends you've made! Thanks for the quote again! You're awesome!

Ashley: I head about your homecoming assembly! You're so sweet! Let me know how it goes! There's something in the mail for you too!

Mom: Thanks for the talks! We've added them to our General Conference countdown which we're all so excited for! And I'm super jealous of the Motab concert! We have our own little music and the spoken word each Sunday and I just love the peace the music brings all the time! 
 
I'll write everyone else back in the family letter. Keep up the indexing! It's almost the 19th! 
Mail seems to still be pretty reliable so that's good! 
 
Well, that's all for now! I love you all so much! Thanks for all the love and support and I'm excited to see how the spirit of missionary work is catching on in all of your lives! 
 
Sisar Crandall


Sisar Ballif and I in the gorgeous woods



The Kebab House


Hanging Out at Church

No comments:

Post a Comment