Monday, November 25, 2013

Week "I lost count after 3..."

Hello my dear friends and family!
How's everyone doing? Well, I'm just great. This week was sure an adventurous one! It started off on Monday getting my dear trainer/companion all packed up! We took her to the train station on Tuesday and sent her off to California! I really hope she reads this and knows that we miss and love her! 

Well anyway, I've had a dinner appointment (sometimes 2) everyday this week. So don't worry, I'm getting fed waaayyy more than I need haha. Must be the Christmas spirit or something. But the good part is that I get to know all the members! They have such sweet spirits and I absolutely love being in their homes.

We started teaching this new family this week. The have 3 kids and are pretty open/interested in religion. The mom only speak Thai though so we've had a little or a language barrier (well, more than usual) So we now talk to the daughter or dad in Finnish and they try to translate it into Thai and then the lesson goes on like that. So, it takes a lot longer, but we're getting there! Luckily, the Restoration movie is in Thai so we were able to show that to her and get the message across much more easily. (I've seen that movie so many times I could watch it in any language and still quote it perfectly).

We had a great little Brunch with a bunch of the older Relief Society women in the ward. They taught us Finnish Christmas songs and talked about the families and traditions and it was a really fun time. 

Then, On Thursday and again on Saturday, I tutored again. This time, it's integrals. So glad I paid attention when I had to learn those in English because now I have to explain it in Finnish. I mean, a lot of the words are the same so it comes along surprisingly well.

Well, a couple cool experiences to share this week. 1st, we were walking to meet a member to go to an appointment when we said "terve" to this lady. This is super weird to Finns and we often get weird looks and "ei kiitos" but this lady just stopped and said "Do I know you?" And we were like "nope!" but then she said "but you're Mormons right?" Yes Ma'am we are. She told us all about her religious experiences and how she's been to a lot of different churches and just never felt anything different. Then she said that she was just sitting at home tonight and decided to go to the Kioski (like a gas station store) and get something to drink for no reason. Ah, little does she know, she'd meet us! So we ended up talking for over a half hour just right there on the street corner and were slightly late to meeting our member (sorry!) But we gave her a Book of Mormon and she asked us for our number and address so we could come back! It was just a really reassuring experience that there ARE people here, and everywhere, more than prepared to hear the gospel. All we have to do is get out there and find them. So I'm really excited to go back there this week and meet with her again.

Well, another cool experience (kinda 2 in 1) happened another night when our investigator cancelled last minute. It was about 8 o'clock and we're not allowed to knock on doors after this time, but we don't have to be home til 9 so it's kinda hard to find "missionary work" to do since there's no one outside to talk to. Well, we figured we might as well go where there's more likely to be people. So we started walking towards the center near some stores where people often hang out who we could talk to. And who did we run into? Our investigators two sons! It was really cool because we'd only ever met them at their door, but we were able to stop and talk to them! And then we talked to them and after a phone call to their dad, they invited us over for dinner on Sunday! So cool! This specific instance was even more miraculous because they live right next to us, but we've been trying so hard to get in contact with them and it just hasn't worked out recently until now! So, we ended up going over there yesterday and eating dinner with the whole family and talking all about the book of mormon and christmas and everything! It was just a really cool night. Yep, the Lord knows where his missionaries are and where they need to be. And although we're so very imperfect and it might take some time, he'll get us there :) I'm really grateful for that.
Well, that was basically my week! A lot of adjusting since I'm now only in a twosome, but we're doing great! I'm surprisingly able to understand what I need to and haven't had too many miscommunications.

Well, it's snowed a ton this week so I definitely wore my snow boots everyday! And I probably will until about March! Can't wait!

I was really excited to hear about Shane and Vendla! Congrats to them! And congrats to Cami and her new baby coming soon and Allyson and her permit and the twins with their duet! Yep, lots of reasons to be proud of my family!

Thanks so much for all your love and support! I feel it everyday. I love you all and I miss you!

Sisar Crandall

Pictures:
Me and my companions on our last day together.
Me and Sisar Dayton freezing at about 5pm. yeah it's pretty dark...




 A cool looking tree. Actually, these are all over now and everything is so white!
Me with me early birthday presents - An awesome ring from Melissa, Joseph, Camille and fam. and then my new sweater courtesy of Grandpa Larsen. I definitely wear it any time we're in the apartment and it's sooooo warm!



No comments:

Post a Comment