Monday, December 16, 2013

STAYING IN JYVÄSKYLÄ - Good-bye Sisar Dayton :(

Well, we got our transfers this week! I'm staying in Jyväskylä! I'm actually really grateful because I really didn't want to pack up and move a week before Christmas, but I'm sad because Sisar Dayton is leaving me. We've been together 4 months now and she's off to Lahti to serve with another sister! My new companion is Sisar Lund. I've never met her and I don't know a lot about her but I do know she's been serving up in Kuopio with Sisar Dayton's former companion and before that she was in Espoo so she's been out longer than me so I'm excited to meet her tomorrow! 

Well, our transfers are 9 weeks long (most missions are 6) So I'm pretty much guaranteed to be in Jyväskylä for the next 2 months (mid February ish are our next transfers) So it looks like I won't have to be too for north for the winter! (Apparently "the winter" comes in January and February so this is nothing...) Anyway, so my address and everything stayed the same so I should still get any mail sent to me fine.

Our District leader is going home and another sister here in Jyväskylä is going to Helsinki so there are lots of changes! I'll let you all know about it next week when I actually meet them all!
So Sisar Dayton and I knew this week was probably going to be our last week together so we, of course, had to try some of the cool places we've been wanting to try. Namely The Classic American Diner. haha what a fun experience! We got a nice good ol' American Hamburger and fries (I won't tell you how much it cost...) but it was so worth it and totally the most American thing I've had since being here (pictures included).


This week was also our ward Christmas party! The missionaries always have to do a recital of some sort so this year we did "the cup song" (Go Youtube it if you don't know what I'm talking about) but we did it to the song "Niin Suuri Oot" which is "How Great Thou Art" in Finnish. It went great! We were slightly nervous about it because we didn't practice that much but it onnistui! It was a success! I'm trying to get a video of it to send home from a girl in our ward so look out for that. So after we performed and another couple musical numbers, Joulupukki tuli! (Santa came!) Santa always comes on Christmas Eve here and that's when they have their huge celebration. Then, Christmas day is a lot more relaxed and peaceful and a lot more family oriented. It's really nice actually. Anyway, so santa came and brought little goodie bags for everyone, but the tradition is that you have to sing for Santa (a specific song) and then he sings back and then gives everyone their presents. So I got to participate in that and see how it's done! I had no idea what I was singing, but I sang it because hey, missionaries need presents too :) So then we ate the traditional riisipuuro (rice porridge) and a fruit and syrupy mixture that goes on top that's delicious! (don't worry, I'll make it for us all next Christmas) and they have a huge pot of the rice stuff and they put an almond (or two or three) in it and if you get the almond, then your christmas wish comes true! Guess who got an almond! Yep! Me! So now all my Christmas wishes come true :) 

Well, this week we've been struggling again to have more lessons with a member present. As missionaries, we always try to involve the member every step of the work, but recently it's been more difficult than it should be. Either our lesson/investigator falls through or our member backs out. And then (since for some reason a lot of our investigators are men) we have to cancel the lesson because we can't go without another woman and we've already called everyone. So I guess the point of me telling this is that I hope all you awesome member missionaries are helping out the missionaries in your home ward any way you can. You're never too busy for the gospel and I think that sometimes (especially around the holiday season which is super ironic) we forget that. So call them up and let them know when you're available and I promise they'll have a lesson for you to go to! Example: We have an awesome woman in our ward who really is extremely busy (as many of you are). She just opened up her own business with her husband and has 3 kids and multiple church callings and really just has a lot going on. Well, we called her this week to come to a lesson with us and she couldn't :( even though she really wanted to. So we said "Oh, that's okay. hopefully next time" and hung up. But then she called us back 5 minutes later and said, "Hey, I'm available Wednesday night at 8. Do you have a lesson then?" and We said "Nope! but we'll get one!" So we scheduled an appointment with an investigator Wed night and she came with us! So just goes to show that you shouldn't focus on what you can't give, focus on what you can! Every little bit helps! Just do your part and the missionaries will be tremendously grateful, trust me.

Well, I'm out of time again! Just wanted to say thanks for all the great emails! I loved them! It was so fun to see pictures of the Christmas train and the program and everything! Have a wonderful week and I can't wait to skype you all next Wednesday! (p.s. I'll call around 6 or 7 Finland time) Okay, I love you all! Have a great week!

Sisar Crandall

Sun setting at 2:19 p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment